What is going on with the HMA board of directors? WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW!
On July 7/29/15, all residents found at their doorsteps letters from HMA president Pam Solig and vice-president Larry Codner. Quite unusual. Both letters indicate that during the closed session of the 7/14/15 HMA meeting, a motion was submitted, seconded then passed by a 3 to 2 vote. According to law, this means the motion has been legitimately adopted and must be carried out.
What follows is troubling: Apparently, the outcome of the vote did not suit Pam and Larry’s expectations and consequently, they decided to resign in protest! Well, so it seemed…
But they also wrote in their letters that they are now both re-considering their resignations given the “overwhelming show of support the homeowners have shown them”.
The puzzling part is that the homeowners do not have a clue of what the motion entailed except some vague reference that it would affect the maintenance crew and increase maintenance costs dramatically. Unfortunately, since this happened in closed executive session, the dissenting board members also tell us they cannot inform us about the decision that was taken by a 3 to 2 margin.
So I am asking: WHAT IS GOING ON?
- How can the “resigning” board members receive “overwhelming support” from homeowners when the homeowners cannot even be told what the issue is?
- If the issue affects maintenance costs and policy, why was it not addressed in public session? We have the right to know how our HOA is managed and our money spent!
- If the issue is of confidential and personal nature and must be dealt with in private session, why are the two losing board members contesting the democratic decision of the other three?
- Pam Solig also claims in her letter that Lordon Management asked her to reconsider her resignation. If true, this means that Lordon has overstepped its legal obligation of neutrality!
- Last but not least, the resigning board members call upon homeowners to show them support by attending next meeting on August 11th but they are also BOTH TELLING US THAT THEY WILL NOT BE ATTENDING THAT MEETING! Huh?
As usual, the goings on of this board lead to more questions than answers! Why the secrecy? Are we children not capable of understanding their “grown-ups” issues? Really feels like it…
If the issue is important enough to resign over, then at least president Pam Solig and vice-president Larry Codner should make the effort to be present to address it in August!
But of course, this is just my opinion. Who am I after all?
Just a concerned homeowner trying to understand how my HOA dues are managed and spent. Aren’t you? I’ll make sure to attend the August 11th meeting, I have lots of questions. I hope to see you there too.